Monday, December 01, 2003

I've recently discovered snooze dreams. I can't believe it's taken me 24 years, but i guess i have not been much of a snoozer before. Lately however, I find myself snoozing for 3 hours in a row, and the dreams are just spectacular. usually the first time the alarm rings at 5am, i'll be at the beginning of a developing dream. when i wake up, the story comes into focus, maybe integrating some early morning radio. i snooze, fall back asleep, and watch the story unfold, with focusing breaks every 10-20 minutes. it started out with me just not wanting to get up. but now i stay in bed solely because of the promise of good dreams. My record this weekend is something like 5 hours of snoozolific fun. The dream merges with reality, and ends up being much more appealing than the prospect of work.

Now some might accuse me of lameness for preferring dreams to reality. But that is not entirely accurate. It turns out I just prefer dreams to no dreams. And it seems the more I snooze, the more well rested I am in the morning. My current plan is to sleep for 5 hours a night, in 15 minute increments. And then maybe my dreams will start being real anyway.

Oh, and the best part is being able to write the dream like a story, with yourself as a character in it, and yet experience it as reality at the same time. just sort of guide yourself to new and better peaks.

No comments: